Accents -- Euripides and GALHN

Chet Creider creider at csd.uwo.ca
Thu Sep 20 19:57:50 EDT 2001

Carl wrote:
> I taught Greek for 40 years and never heard this one; I've referred to
> Heraclitus' BIO/S (bow) and BI/OS (life). Your story sounds like the sort
> of thing that might appear in one of Plutarch's Lives or in Athenaeus'
> Deipnosophistae.

I've taught this story for years ever since a student told me about it,
but also have never known the details.  I asked a colleague in the classics
department at my university with a photographic memory and less than a
minute later his reply came back (by email).  Here it is (with my questions):

>(1) in which play does the famous EK KUMATWN GAR AUQIS AU GALHN hORW
>line occur?
>(where the actor pronounced a circumflex instead of an acute and the audience
>not only smelled but heard a rat instead of a calm?)

[added for B-Greek: with an acute, the line means `after the storm, I see
again calm'; with a circumflex, `after the storm, I see again a weasel']

Eur. Orestes 279.  For discussion of the issue of pronunciation, see
S. G. Daitz, CQ 33 (1983) 294-295.  There is also an excellent Oxford
commentary on the play by Willink.

A GALH is actually a weasel or ferret.

>(2) in which other plays did Euripides mention this along with the actor's
>name?

Euripides nevers mentions it or the actor, but the comic poets had a
ball with it: Aristophanes, Frogs 303 ff., Sannyrion fr. 8, Strattis
fr. 63 (the fr. numbers are from Kassel & Austin, Poetae Comici
Graeci).

>(3) what was the actor's name?

Hegelochus (also mentioned as playing Orestes by Strattis fr. 1).
His slip made him the best-known actor in antiquity.

[It would appear then that the slip of the tongue in question really
did take place -- Chet Creider]