TWNT/TDNT curiosity?

Decker, Rodney rdecker at bbc.edu
Mon Sep 17 14:35:36 EDT 2001

I just noted a curiosity in the dates of TWNT and TDNT. The inclusive dates
for TDNT are 1964-1976. The inclusive dates for TWNT are 1933-*1979.* Since
TDNT is a translation of TWNT, how is it that the German publication dates
extend 3 years later than the English? My *guess* is that v. 10, the index
volume, was prepared and released first in English--though it includes a
lengthy essay (well worth reading!) by Friedrich that was translated from
the German text?! I'd appreciate any clarification.  Thanks.

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D.
Associate Prof./NT
Baptist Bible Seminary
Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania