attributive genitive in Luke 16

Rbsads at aol.com Rbsads at aol.com
Mon Sep 17 12:41:29 EDT 2001

Carl writes:
I don't believe there's an ounce of difference in this instance between TON
OIKONOMON THS ADIKIAS  and TON OIKONOMON TON ADIKON in 16:8 or between EK TOU
MAMWNA THS ADIKIAS and EK TOU MAMWNA TOU
ADIKOU in 16:9. And yes, I do think these are attributive genitives.

Dear Carl,

Thank you.

I guess there is no need to make the reading any more difficult than
unrighteous manager and unrighteous mammon.

Is there any anyway to determine whether the attributive genitive is
describing a quality of a type of mammon (the unrighteous type of mammon) or
is describing a quality that is common to all mammon (all mammon is
unrighteous)?

Is either interpretation possible, and then is the choice a matter only of
personal understanding?

Thanks,

Richard Smith
Chattanooga, TN