Gal. 4:11

Clwinbery at aol.com Clwinbery at aol.com
Thu Sep 13 22:12:36 EDT 2001

In a message dated 9/13/01 8:59:09 AM, cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu writes:

>At 8:46 AM -0500 9/13/01, Ed Garcia wrote:
>>Some friends and I are reading the book of Galatians. But we are puzzled
>as
>>to the function of UMAS in 4:11. It is an accusative but we are not sure
>how
>>to translate it. What use of the accusative is this? Any guidance that
>>anyone can offer would be most appreciated. Thank you.
>
>TEXT: FOBOUMAI hUMAS MH PWS EIKHi KEKOPIAKA EIS hUMAS.
>
>I don't think that initial hUMAS should be treated as a direct object of
>FOBOUMAI but rather as anticipatory of EIS hUMAS, particularly as the
>clause MH PWS ... KEKOPIAKA is a typical clause of anxiety, except that
>it's in the indicative rather than expressing an anxiety about the future.
>My inclination would be to see a sort of anacoluthon here--a break after
>the hUMAS and then a resumption in the MH PWS clause. I think I would
>either omit the hUMAS in translation or else try to reproduce the force
>of
>the anacoluthon: "I'm afraid that you--that I've labored in vain upon you."

In translating Galatians every year for 14 years (no guarantee you get it
right) I usually dealt with this verse and saw hUMAS as the accusative used
for reference. There are several places where the substantive in the
accusative indicates mere reference rather than the direct receiver of the
action. I translate it "I am afraid about you, lest I have .  .  ." Usually
is some such reference such as "with reference to" can be used in the
translation, then I would take it as reference - concerning or about.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College