Re Accusative of ?? in Luke 7:29

Alex / Ali alexali at surf.net.au
Tue Sep 11 08:33:56 EDT 2001

Kenneth Litwak wrote
>   In Luke 7:29b, we read
>BAPTISQENTES TO BAPTISMA IWANNOU
and brought attention to the accusative.

I don't think I'm adding anything at variance with the answer Carl has
already given, but note only that some of the grammar books like using the
word 'retained' in describing this sort of accusative; see e.g. BDF 159 (1)
'The accusative of the thing is retained with the passive of [certain]
verbs', or Wallace's GGBB p197 which speaks of the 'accusative of retained
object'.  See also Zerwick's excellent Biblical Greek illustrated by
Examples, #72 (52): 'Verbs which in the active can govern a double
accusative retain in the passive, in Greek, 'the accusative of the thing'.'
Sometimes I think the terminology is more tangled than the meaning; e.g., re
John 11:44 (EXHLQEN hO TEQNHKWS DEDEMENOS TOUS PODAS KAI TAS CEIRAS
KEIRIAIS), the Zerwick/Grosvenor Analysis (1981 edition) takes TOUS PODAS
KAI TAS CEIRAS as accusatives of respect, while BDF 159, note 3, classify
under 'The accusative with the passive' (i.e. what I refer to as retained
accusative); the sense is perfectly clear - even if the grammatical
nomenclature isn't.

Alex Hopkins
Melbourne, Australia