Luke 18:11 -- Iver Larsen's suggestion

George Blaisdell maqhth at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 10 22:46:11 EDT 2001

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA

"Be not troubling of you the heart..."

>George Blaisdell wrote:

> > I think you are right!

> > And, perhaps less democratically, we could give it a wooden rendering
>thus: "The Pharisee, having been stood to himself, prayed to himself these
>things:" Or more elegantly, "The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed
>within himself these things:"

> > The western schools seem very wary of inclusionary grammatic approaches
>to eastern texts.  The idea that one word has only one attribution seems
>very strong...

To wit:

>As I've always said, when in doubt, blame "Western" (or better yet,
"American") something or other.

We're talkin' resistance!!  Like it just ain't fittin'!!

>I just want someone who holds to the "plenary" method to tell me what
>objective standards we can use to determine the limits, if any, that can be
>placed on this approach?

The forms of discourse are well attested, both in the Hebrew and the Greek,
and are are called chiastic, and the rules governing them are clear and
objective.  Chiastic verbal structuring of language was common and well
understood in the 1st century and well before and after.  See John Breck's
"The Shape of Biblical Language", as but one book written on this.  Examples
abound in the Bible...  OT and NT.  The chiastic method is attuned to an
oral and predominantly non-literate culture, lending oral structure to
language that is not read so much as heard...

Ain't no eisegetic voodoo to any of it!  Just an ancient and eastern way of
oral expression, so far as I know...

>But, of course, "objective standards" are just an invention of the "Western
>mind."

Steve, that qualifies as resistant!!  :-)

geo