Ego Eimi

The Fullmers bpfullmer at home.com
Sat Sep 8 13:24:30 EDT 2001

In his book, _Sophia and the Johannine Jesus_ (Sheffield: Sheffield Academic
Press, JSNTSS 71, 1992) Martin Scott writes:

"One of the most STRIKINGLY INDIVIDUAL christological presentations of the
Fourth Gospel is the group of discourses in which Jesus introduces himself
with the DISTINCTIVE affirmation, EGO EIMI." (p. 116, emphasis mine)

Scott's 15-page consideration of the EGO EIMI sayings in John is insightful.
As many others in current scholarship on the issue (S. Schroer, et al.),
Scott finds its immediate source in Hebrew Bible wisdom literature, which
has its source in the Isis EGO EIMI traditions.  See Diodorus of Sicily's
_History_ 1.27 for the description of an inscription in which Isis
repeatedly defines her role through use of the term EGO EIMI.

Paul Fullmer
Doctoral Student
Graduate Theological Union
Berkeley, CA