Luke 18:11

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Sat Sep 8 12:15:21 EDT 2001

> Some time ago I asked for assistance with determining the meaning of
> the preposition in the following phrase from Luke 18:11:
>
>         hO FARISAIOS STAQEIS TAUTA PROS hEAUTON PROSHUCETO
>
> BDAG:
>
> The 3rd edition has an extensive discussion of PROS and cites the phrase
> in Luke 18:11 under sense 3, subsense g.  Sense 3 is the familiar
> "movement
> or orientation toward s.o./s.t." and subsense g is "by, at,
> near".  However,
> the actual gloss given for the phrase in Luke is "he uttered a prayer to
> himself".  This strikes me as not likely given that the verb is
> PROSHUCETO.

Yes, BAGD is not helpful with this citation. The sense "by, at, near" is OK,
though.

Which Greek edition are you quoting? There are manuscript variations here,
but the latest Nestle-Aland and UBS text agree on a better and probably
original order:

hO FARISAIOS STAQEIS PROS hEAUTON TAUTA PROSHUCETO

This order helps to clarify that PROS hEAUTON is not connected with
PROSHUCETO but with STAQEIS

The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed these things (to God)...

In true Pharisee fashion he separated himself from the common man and
especially a despised tax collector.

Iver Larsen