translation... etc

Paul Schmehl p.l.schmehl at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 8 02:02:31 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson at mindspring.com>
To: "Biblical Greek" <b-greek at franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 11:03 PM
Subject: [b-greek] re: translation... etc

>It appears that Jim did a copy and paste job from the Perseus
>web site's Duke Database of Documentary Papyri.  This also
>explains why Jim's context is the last half of one sentence
>and the first half of another.  The full sentences are:

>META THN ANAGNWSIN, SABEINOS EPARCOS AIGUPTOS SERHNWi hRHTORI,
>EIPEN: ANAGNWQI KAI SU NOMON.  SELEUKOS SUNERGOS EIPEN: KAI
>META SEOUHRON PANTES hOI hEGOUMENOI hOUTWS APEFHANTO.

And Perseus defines ANAGNWSIN thus: "recognition", based on LSJ and Middle
Liddell.  Middle Liddell also indicates that in Plato it's used in the sense
of "reading".  Perhaps Jim is getting "recite" from the Latin  "recitatio"?
But that means reading.

And ANAGNWQI is defined thus: "to know well, know certainly"

And wouldn't the phrase in question (ANAGNWQI KAI SU MOU NOMON) be something
along the lines of "Also, you knew full well my law"?  I don't see how this
could be understood as "recite" here.  Am I missing something?

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
p.l.schmehl at worldnet.att.net
http://www.utdallas.edu/~pauls/