textual cruces

Steven R. Lo Vullo doulos at appleisp.net
Fri Sep 7 19:11:49 EDT 2001

on 9/7/01 5:18 PM, Marica Frank at Marica.Frank at archden.org wrote:

> I am a Classicist by training but am presently teaching NT Greek at a
> seminary.     One of my concerns is to convince students that a
> translation of the New Testament is not an adequate basis for teaching
> and preaching.    I can, of course, point to examples where the Greek
> word or phrase has a rich range of nuance which cannot be captured in
> English.    What I would like to find, however, and what I hope members
> of the list will be able to assist me with, are significant passages in
> the New Testament where a knowledge of Greek is really necessary for the
> interpretation of the text.     I have Nigel Turner's 'Grammatical
> Insights into the New Testament', but many of the passages in which he
> finds textual problems are not really significant enough to persuade
> students that they can't manage without Greek.    I'd be grateful if
> more experienced teachers of NT Greek could come to my rescue here.

Hi Marica:

I'm not a teacher of Greek, but thought I would mention something that may
be of help. In Daniel B. Wallace's _Greek Grammar Beyond the Basiscs_
(Zondervan), he includes after many of the categories a section containing a
discussion of exegetically significant examples. They are very interesting
(even if you do not always agree with him) and illustrate how important a
knowledge of Greek is for making interpretive decisions.
--

Steve Lo Vullo
Madison, WI