Translation Studies

Steven R. Lo Vullo doulos at appleisp.net
Fri Sep 7 18:02:52 EDT 2001

on 9/7/01 9:16 AM, Ed Garcia at Ed.Garcia at FHLBTopeka.com wrote:

> I recall seeing an interview with former Chief Justice Earl Warren. Justice
> Warren used to carry a pocket copy of the Constitution around with him. He
> kept it in the pocket of his suit coat. He said that he knew it practically
> by heart but when he wanted to quote from it he would pull out his copy and
> read from it. This to me always seemed a good picture of ANAGINWSKW "to know
> again", "to read".

One of the problems with trying to determine the meaning of a word by its
constituent components is that it doesn't take into account the development
of the word over time that has resulted in its range of meaning at any
particular time in its history. As for "to know again," what will we do with
examples of the word where something is read for the first time?
--

Steve Lo Vullo
Madison, WI