Translation Studies

jwest at highland.net jwest at highland.net
Fri Sep 7 10:49:53 EDT 2001

> At 9:16 AM +0000 9/7/01, jwest at highland.net wrote:
> Once again, Jim offers us a novel perspective on Greek lexicology! Vs. 17
> tells us that Jesus unrolled the scroll and found the place where the text
> in question stood written. Why he would do that before reciting from memory
> might raise an eyebrow or two. There are 32 instances of the verb
> ANAGINWSKW in the GNT. Here's a couple that will illustrate what I assume
> is Lucan usage: In Acts 8:30ff. Philip hears an Ethiopian eunuch
> ANAGINWSKONTOS; in this instance "reading aloud" from a text of Isaiah
> that, if he is reciting at memory, he nevertheless doesn't understand. In
> Acts 15:30 we are told that the letter from the Jerusalem church was given
> to the congregation at Antioch, then in 31 ANAGNONTES DE ECARHSAN EPI THi
> PARAKLHSEI. This is hardly a matter of reciting a memorized text.

carl is correct regarding the last instance he cites.  he is incorrect in
assuming that because the word means *read* here it means *read* everywhere.
Context makes words meaningful.  as to the eunuch reciting from isaiah- it sure
makes a lot more sense to say he was reciting as he bounced along in the
chariot rather than that he was reading.  and as to him not understanding what
he recited... lots of folk sing songs in church with latin words and they have
no idea what they mean.  people often repeat things they dont understand.

> I suggest that those interested consult BDAG, L&N, LJS, etc.

and also recognize that they are no more infallible in their renderings than
the texts of scripture.

best,

jim