CAUTION: Re: Translation Studies

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Sep 6 12:58:19 EDT 2001

At 2:39 PM -0400 9/6/01, George Blaisdell wrote:
>I think we can all attest to the lack of measuring up that translations
>possess of their original language.
>
>And perhaps this is not the forum to raise the issue, but I always thought
>that the LXX was the Bible of Jesus and the early Church, in that the OT was
>the Bible.

The original message asked for help, even suggesting that responses be sent
off-list to the original sender. Pleae let's not get into extraneous
controversies over issues such as Jesus' literacy and whether or not he
knew the LXX or the Hebrew Bible or Aramaic targums, or whatever. The focus
of B-Greek is essentially the Greek language and the text of the Bible.
Co-Chair, B-Greek List
cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com