Translation Studies

George Blaisdell maqhth at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 14:39:33 EDT 2001

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA

"Be not troubling of you the heart..."

>...your understanding of the NT will be crippled without a solid
>familiarity with the Hebrew Bible (since it was of course the Bible of
>Jesus and the early Church).  And of course if one wishes to be familiar
>with a book one does well to read it in its original language (since
>translations never really do measure up).

Jim -

I think we can all attest to the lack of measuring up that translations
possess of their original language.

And perhaps this is not the forum to raise the issue, but I always thought
that the LXX was the Bible of Jesus and the early Church, in that the OT was
the Bible.

The vast majority of quotations from the OT by all the NT authors are taken
from the LXX, are they not?  Is there any evidence that the OT quotes are
fresh translations into Greek from the old Hebrew when the NT was written?
If not, then wouldn't the LXX seem to be the Bible of the early Church and
Jesus?

geo