Translation Studies

jwest at highland.net jwest at highland.net
Thu Sep 6 09:09:55 EDT 2001

> Do I have to learn Hebrew before I start some Independent Studies in New
> Testament?

no but your understanding of the NT will be crippled without a solid familiarity
with the Hebrew Bible (since it was of course the Bible of Jesus and the early
Church).  And of course if one wishes to be familiar with a book one does well to
read it in its original language (since translations never really do measure up).

> And how 'textual criticism', to which I am not familiar,  will rule my work?

To correctly understand a text one must know what one is reading.  Textual
criticism is the effort to return to the most pristine form of the document in
question.  Yes, you need to know about textual criticism.  Absolutely.

> If I want to begine with "'psychi' and 'pneuma' in Albanian", what
> bibliography do you suggest that I should study? My question doesn't apply
> Albanian bibliogaraphy but the methodology of my research and about
> similiar work on the English translations of the same notions (psychi and
> pneuma), if it exists.

If you wish to know the meanings of these words and how they were used in the NT
era (a phrase which makes me shudder), then you must read the relevent entries in
the Theological Dictionary of the New Testament.

> I do apologize about my mistakes in English and will appreciate any help
> from the list.

no need to apologize.

Best,

Jim