Heb. 11:11a

Stephen C. Carlson scarlson at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 5 09:06:21 EDT 2001

At 12:57 AM 9/5/2001 -0500, Steven R. Lo Vullo wrote:
>But if parenthetic, wouldn't it have been more natural to express this in a
>genitive absolute clause with OUSHS as the participle, in order to
>distinguish SARRA from the subject of the main clause?

Actually, some MSS witnesses of Heb 11:11 have done this, by
reading OUSA after STEIRA (P 075 104 256 263 365 436 459 1319
1573 1912 2127 L597 arm eth).

>May this be one of
>the reasons some have taken the Semitic route? I haven't been able to read
>the reasons given for the Semitic proposition, so I'm not sure what the
>arguments for it are.

It's just that Hebrew tends to use coordinating clauses (parataxis), where
good Greek prefers subordinating clauses (hypotaxis).  That's all
really.  You see this in Heb 1:5, which is a quotation from the LXX.

Stephen Carlson
Stephen C. Carlson                        mailto:scarlson at mindspring.com
Synoptic Problem Home Page   http://www.mindspring.com/~scarlson/synopt/
"Poetry speaks of aspirations, and songs chant the words."  Shujing 2.35