Heb. 11:10a

Steven R. Lo Vullo doulos at appleisp.net
Wed Sep 5 00:45:00 EDT 2001

on 9/4/01 10:25 PM, Mark Wilson at emory2oo2 at hotmail.com wrote:

> Heb. 11:10a
>
> EXEDECETO GAR THN TOUS QEMELIOUS ECOUSAN POLIN...
>

> Were there some QEMELIOUS that first century readers
> would have understood as TOUS QEMELIOUS? If so, what
> were they? The idea I get from this passage is some
> foundations of a non-temporal or non-Promised Land nature,
> but that seems like too much to be supplied from this passage.
>
> Not finding any contextually developed "foundations,"
> how are we to understand the definite article here?

The contrast is between SKHNAIS in v. 9 and THN TOUS QEMELIOUS ECOUSAN POLIN
in v. 10, i.e., between the transitory and the permanent. NIDNTT suggests
that QEMELIOUS "[i]n Heb. 11:10 and Rev. 21:14, 19 ... refers to the
foundations of the future city of God." In Rev 21.14 we have QEMELIOUS
DWDEKA and in 21.19 hOI QEMELIOI. Perhaps the author of Hebrews was thinking
of the same tradition as John.
--

Steve Lo Vullo
Madison, WI