hEAUTOU in Lk 14.25-33 (correction)

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Sep 4 21:06:03 EDT 2001

In my message earlier today (Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:05:10 -0400) I erroneously
referred to the reflexive pronoun as being "reciprocal", perhaps because EN
hEAUTOIS sometimes appears in the GNT as equivalent to ALLHLOIS or PROS
ALLHLOUS.

>Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:05:10 -0400
>
>Generally in English it is
>perfectly clear when we use 'his' or 'her' in these contexts that the
>possessive pronoun refers reciprocally to the subject of the clause, but
>older Greek was more careful to distinguish the reciprocal form from the
>simple possessive AUTOU or AUTHS. Later Greek--the Koine of the
>NT--generally no longer distinguishes the two very sharply, but a writer
>trained in a grammar school (and Luke seems to write a type of Greek
>reflecting that he was taught Greek in a school) is more likely to adhere
>to the older distinction of the two.

That first sentence cited should read:

"Generally in English it is perfectly clear when we use 'his' or 'her' in
these contexts that the possessive pronoun refers reflexively to the

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com