Romans 3:4

John Macaulay john_macaulay at sil.org
Tue Sep 4 11:01:01 EDT 2001

I am puzzled by the second line of this Hebrew parallelism.

It reads KAI NIKHSEIS EN TW KRINESTHAI SE.

My Question: Why is the second person singular pronoun 'you' in the
accusative case?

Surely this SE fits neither with taking the verb KRINOMAI as a middle, or
with reading it as the passive?

(a) In the case of the middle interpretation, I would expect a genitive SOU.
(b) How, given that you the addressee of this line is God, could an
accusative case go with a passive reading of the verb (and so the consequent
NASB translation "And prevail when you are judged".)

Is this a case of Hebraicised Greek, being a quotation from the LXX?

Many thanks.

John Macaulay
SIL