hEAUTOU in Lk 14.25-33

Rbsads at aol.com Rbsads at aol.com
Tue Sep 4 05:58:30 EDT 2001

14.26 OU MISEI TOV PATERA hEAUTOU (or is it PATERA AUTOU as I have in a
Nestle/.Marshall interlinear Greek-English NT, based on Nestle 21)

14.26 ETI TE KAI THN YUXHN hEAUTOU

14.27 hOSTIS OU BASTAZEI TON STAURON hEAUTOU

14.33  OUK APOTASSETAI PASIN TOIS hEAUTOU hUPARXOUSIN

Does the pronoun hEAUTOU act reflexively referring to the associated noun
itself or does it act possessively and refer to the one who would be a
disciple as owning the associated noun?

The translation differences might be something like:

14.26 does not hate the father himself
or 14.26 does not hate his father

14.26 and even life itself
or 14.26 and even his life

14.27 does not bear the cross itself
or 14.27 does not bear his crosss

14.33 does not take leave of all the possessions themselves
or 14.33 does not take leave of all his possessions

I am not sure whether there is any significance in the translation
differences, but I would be curious as to the reason for using hEAUTOU if the
translations are better understood as AUTOU.

Thanks,

Richard Smith
Chattanooga, TN