2Pet 3:6 DI' hWV

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Mon Sep 3 02:11:42 EDT 2001

Dear Stirling and Thomas:

I laid out the Greek as follows without the verse markers beginning in verse
5:

1. LANQANEI GAR AUTOUS TOUTO QELONTAS
2.     HOTI OURANOI HSAN EKPALAI
3.        KAI GH EX hUDATOS
4.        KAI DI' hUDATOS SUNESTWSA TO TOU QEOU LOGWi
5.                DI' WN hO TOTE KOSMOS hUDATI KATALUSQEIS
                        APWLETO

Three times hUDWR is used in the last three lines. The relevant allusion in
the OT is Gen 1:1ff and Gen 6-9. Creation of the world by the Word (LOGWi -
the LOGOS?) of God AND its destruction by the Great Flood (hUDATI), thus
Judgement. It seems to me that DI' WN in line 5 is relating back to DI'
UDATOS in line 4. I do like the logical parallelism from line 3 to line 5. I
am also inclined to think that DI' WN could be referring back to both DI'
hUDATOS and TOU QEOU LOGWi. My reasoning, although not full-proof, is that
the destruction of the whole earth was by water and by the command of God
(see the parallelism of LOGWi in verse 5 with EPANGELIA in verse 3). If I am
correct, then DI' WN is actually referring to the entire phrase of line 4
above.

En Xpistw,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III