James 1:3

jwest at highland.net jwest at highland.net
Sat Sep 1 17:28:32 EDT 2001

> I would agree that hUMWN can modify DOKIMON, but I fail to see how THS
> PISTEWS can be construed as "faithful people."

because nouns name things.  they are not mere abstractions.
thus, the people named here are described as faithful.

 For one thing, your
> translation suggests THS PISTEWS be taken in a vocative sense, though the
> case is genitive.

the genitive here functions merely to specify that they are the faithful ones
(in opposition to and contradistinction to the unfaithful)

>And while PISTIS in certain contexts can mean
> "faithfulness," I don't see how it can mean "faithful one."

because- with all due respect- you are translating far too literally-- thinking
in a modern mindset, and not availing yourself of the fact that in ancient
palestine people used nouns to describe the attributes of folk rather than as
mere abstractions.

>This would be
> covered by hO PISTOS. Finally, PISTEWS is singular, not plural. Even if it
> were plural, the only sense I know of for PISTIS in the plural is something
> like "pledges" (although the plural is not used in the NT).

the singular often stands in place of the plural when a group is conceived in
its singularity.  again, you are thinking like a modern individualistic
american rather than a first century jewish christian (the folk addressed by
james).

best,

jim

Jim West, ThD