Togetherness in Eph 3:6

B. Ward Powers bwpowers at optusnet.com.au
Mon Oct 29 19:46:11 EST 2001

Hi, Clay.

At 02:05 PM 011029 -0800, c stirling bartholomew wrote:
>Before I started looking over Ephesians today, I was reading a book on
>Rhetorical Analysis* and for that reason I was perhaps looking for patterns
>of interest when I came to Eph 3:6 where Paul is talking about togetherness
>and uses 3 words: SUGKLHRONOMA, SUSSWMA, SUMMETOCA which start with SU.

Actually, they all start with SUN, our old familiar preposition meaning
"with" or "together with". When this preposition is compounded with a verb,
the nu assimilates to the phoneme which follows it (or to being the same
kind of phoneme, as in SUGKLHRONOMA, where the "G" is not a true gamma, but
actually "enga", the "-ng-" sound as in our "sing", i.e. the palatal nasal
liquid phoneme, because the following kappa is a palatal).

We do the same kind of thing in English. For example, English has the
negative prefix "in-" (as in "independent"), which has assimilated in our
"illegal", "immobile", "irregular", etc. But it is "in-" each time, though
in disguise.

Regards,

Ward

                                http://www.netspace.net.au/~bwpowers
Rev Dr B. Ward Powers        Phone (International): 61-2-8714-7255
259A Trafalgar Street          Phone (Australia): (02) 8714-7255
PETERSHAM  NSW  2049      email: bwpowers at optusnet.com.au
AUSTRALIA.                         Director, Tyndale College