Linguistic view of verbs

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 28 16:00:46 EST 2001

on 10/28/01 1:10 PM, Kimmo Huovila wrote:

> A book that touches on both is Robert E. Longacre's The Grammar of
> Discourse, but I am not sure I would call that an introduction. Without
> quite a bit of background in linguistics, the book is quite hard
> reading.

Kimmo,

It sure is reassuring to hear that someone else didn't just breeze through
Robert E. Longacre's The Grammar of Discourse. I have had the second edition
here for several years and pull it out once in a while to take another crack
at it.

The first few chapters however are required reading for anyone doing
discourse analysis and these chapters are not all that difficult. The later
portion of the book is like reading a graduate level math text book.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew