1 Cor. 5:1b

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sat Oct 27 15:04:19 EDT 2001

At 12:00 PM -0400 10/27/01, Ted Mann wrote:
>Greetings friends.
>I have been reading Metzger's "The New Testament: Its Background, Growth and
>Content," and I came across the following statement (p226)regarding 1 Cor.
>5:  "Turning to the moral abuses in Corinth, Paul deals with a case of
>incest where a man married his stepmother."  I have been unable to find any
>reason to conclude that "..hWSTE GUNAIKA TINA TOU PATROS ECEIN" implies
>marriage, but I thought I'd ask if the phrase can mean this.  Also, although
>this has nothing to do with Greek, if a Jew in NT times married his
>stepmother (assuming his father had died), would that have constituted
>incest?

You're asking a hypothetical question, but I suspect that the answer is
"yes." On the other hand, what the phrase, hWSTE TINA TOU PATROS ECEIN
doesn't give any reason to suppose that the father has died; the Greek says
simply, "such as a man taking his father's wife." Of course, Paul's word
was PORNEIA, which is hardly restricted to incest.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com