1 Cor. 5:1b

Maurice A. O'Sullivan mauros at iol.ie
Sat Oct 27 12:37:59 EDT 2001

At 17:00 27/10/01, Ted Mann wrote:

>I have been unable to find any
>reason to conclude that "..hWSTE GUNAIKA TINA TOU PATROS ECEIN" implies
>marriage,

Yes, Ted, I agree with you -- and I find it odder still that Metzger, as
one of the team involved in the production of the NRSV,  should ignore that
translation which runs ( as does the RSV ):

 >>   for a man is living with his father's wife. <<<

  On your other query, I can quote the Anchor Bible Dictionary:
 >>Leviticus 18 and 20 and Deuteronomy 27 detail strong incest
prohibitions. In one's parent's generation, sex with parents, step-mother,
paternal uncle and wife, and both maternal and paternal aunts was prohibited.<<

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]
mauros at iol.ie

"Mere description is impossible. Language forces you to an implicit
comment." C.S. Lewis