1 Cor. 5:1b

Ted Mann theomann at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 27 12:00:35 EDT 2001

Greetings friends.
I have been reading Metzger's "The New Testament: Its Background, Growth and
Content," and I came across the following statement (p226)regarding 1 Cor.
5:  "Turning to the moral abuses in Corinth, Paul deals with a case of
incest where a man married his stepmother."  I have been unable to find any
reason to conclude that "..hWSTE GUNAIKA TINA TOU PATROS ECEIN" implies
marriage, but I thought I'd ask if the phrase can mean this.  Also, although
this has nothing to do with Greek, if a Jew in NT times married his
stepmother (assuming his father had died), would that have constituted
incest?

Many thanks.

Ted
Dr. Theodore H. Mann