John 6:40 hO QEWRWN, PISTEUWN corrected version

Mark Wilson emory2oo2 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 08:49:50 EDT 2001

Harry:

You wrote:

-----
>  Regarding , TOUTO GAR ESTIN TO QELHMA TOU PATPOS MOU, hINA
>PAS hO QEWRWN TON hUION KAI PISTEUWN EIS AUTON ECHi ZWHN
>AIWNION, KAI ANASTHSW AUTON EGW [EN] THi ESCATHi.
>
>  It seems to me that hO QEWRWN and PISTEUWN represents an
>on going process that results in ZWHN AIWNION and ANASTHSW.
-----

To nobody's surprise I am sure, I would simply say: No. The
Present tense does not denote on-going action. Any "on-going" aspect
would be inherent in a verb's Lexical Aspect. Grammatical Aspect
does NOT denote "on-going" action. And I just don't see how one
can argue for a "on-going" aspect with these verbs
in this context, but concerning the ptc PISTEUWN here...

In fairness, I would point you to Wallace's GGBB, pg. 621. footnote 22.
When I first read it, I fell out of my chair. Then, after I got up,
I realized that one's theology deeply affects one's grammatical
conclusions (which, if true, should also inform you as to why
I hold to my position).

My (theological) thoughts,  :o )

Mark Wilson