MIDDLE AND PASSIVE VOICE

George Blaisdell maqhth at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 25 14:00:19 EDT 2001

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA

"Be not troubling of you the heart..."
[From the Gospel of John, Chapter 14, verse 1.]

>From: "B. Ward Powers"

>...what significance (if any) lies in the passive morph being
>-QH/QE-. One of my students once asked me, Could there be a connection
>between this -QH/QE- morph and the verb TIQHMI, the root of >which is also
>-QH/QE-? Is this possible in some way?

That one always nibbles at me too.  The TIQHMI root QH/QE being the same
morph as the passive form and its relationship to QEOS, if any.  I had to
give up on this matter lest I be accused of chasing the skivvies of
squirreldom through the trees of lexiconography!  :-)

geo