MIDDLE AND PASSIVE VOICE

B. Ward Powers bwpowers at optusnet.com.au
Thu Oct 25 05:15:30 EDT 2001

At 04:47 PM 011024 +1000, hefin jones wrote:
>Hi
>
>Is it significant that it is in the future and aorist that middle and
>passive are distinguished, as opposed to the present and perfect?
>
>Hefin Jones
>
>Sydney, Australia

I also would be interested to know whether there is any answer which can be
given to this. Why a separate passive form developed for two subsystems,
and not the other two. Why just two, and not all four subsystems. And why
these two.

And also: what significance (if any) lies in the passive morph being
-QH/QE-. One of my students once asked me, Could there be a connection
between this -QH/QE- morph and the verb TIQHMI, the root of which is also
-QH/QE-? Is this possible in some way?

Regards,

Ward

Regards,