Acts 1:7

Bryan Rocine brocine at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 24 16:01:36 EDT 2001

Dear friends,

A little translation question about OUS hO PATHR EQETO EN TH
IDIA ECOUSIA:

Is "within" or "by," (or some other choice) the translation
of EN that most precisely represents the notion of the
Greek?  I can accept that we do not know, if that is your
answer.

Why might I care?  While  I would not like theology to
influence the decision about how to translate EN, I see that
such the decision, if it can be made certainly, may have
some small theological import in this verse.

I have already found that most modern translations consider
EN here as indicating a relationship of instrumentality,
something like "...by his own authority."  I have also
found,  after searching through other examples of TIQHMI +
EN that this string otherwise expresses putting something
into a place (Acts 5:25) or sphere of control (2 Cor 5:19).

Thanx much! Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church