Rom 11:25

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Oct 23 10:43:48 EDT 2001

At 11:20 PM +1000 10/23/01, George Athas wrote:
>The latter portion of Rom 11:25 reads:
>
>hOTI PWRWSIS APO MEROUS TWi ISRAHL GEGONEN ACRIS hOU TO PLHRWMA TWN EQNWN
>EISELQHi.
>
>How ought this be translated? I'd like to focus particular attention on
>the choice of
>translation for ACRIS hOU and the use of the subjunctive mood for EISELQHi.

Isn't this very much like Lk 21:24 KAI IEROUSALHM ESTAI PATOUMENH hUPO
EQNWN, ACRI hOU PLHRWQWSIN KAIROI EQNWN.?

My understanding of the construction is that ACRI(S) hOU + subjunctive
envisions a future point in time at which a process will be completed.
There's a contingency limiting the continuation of the process described in
the clause with the indicative.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com