hEPTA + KIS?

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Sun Oct 21 16:41:03 EDT 2001

At 1:11 PM -0400 10/21/01, Harry W. Jones wrote:
>Dear Carl,
>
>I've noticed that almost all the translations that I have looked at
>tranlate hEBDOMHKONTAKIS hEPTA as "seventy times seven." But I noticed
>in, s347 of Smyth that hEPTA is listed as a Cardinal and hEBDOMHKONTAKIS
>is listed as an Abverb. So I was wondering about that?

Harry, if you've followed the whole train, it should be evident that there
are alternative interpretations of the data; the combination of the sort
hEBDOMHKONTAKIS hEPTA is not sufficiently attested to satisfy the critics
that it is legitimate to understand it as meaning 70x 7 = 490; i.e. several
believe that it means simply 70 + 7. Personally I would have thought that
as an adverb hEBDOMHKONTAKIS qualifies the cardinal numeral hEPTA, but
there just doesn't seem to be any consensus on the matter. And in any case,
I think we DO have a consensus that the real point of what Jesus is saying
is that there's no longer any limit to forgiveness.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com