Luke 22:38 - It is enough!

Alex / Ali alexali at surf.net.au
Sun Oct 21 06:05:35 EDT 2001

Steven Lo Vollu wrote regarding Luke 22:38,

>GAR explains why they should get
>swords: the scripture that says he will be numbered with the transgressors
>must be fulfilled, and it will be fulfilled by the disciples having swords,
>like revolutionaries (see v. 50). When told they had two swords, Jesus
>responds hIKANON ESTIN ("It is sufficient."), i.e., it is sufficient to
>fulfill the scripture about him being numbered with the transgressors.

I found this an interesting point, Steven, and I'm going to chew it over.
Just a question in regard to it: if the swords were part of the Lord's being
numbered with the transgressors, is there any significance in this not being
raised in the accusations made against him? I would have thought that the
being numbered with the transgressors relates to his death between two
thieves.

Alex Hopkins
Melbourne, Australia