Rev. 22:11 and 3rd person imperatives

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 19 01:59:48 EDT 2001

on 10/18/01 3:57 PM, boyd at huxcomm.net wrote:

> I've had a lingering question about 3rd person imperatives,
> which was further kindled by Revelation 22:11.  Here's the text:
>
> hO ADIKWN ADIKHSATW ETI KAI hO hRUPAROS
> hRUPANQHTW ETI, KAI hO DIKAIOS DIKAIOSUNHN
> POIHSATW ETI KAI hO hAGIOS hAGIASQHTW ETI.

{snip snip}

> What are we to make of the imperatives in this verse?

Jonathan,

In this passage the imperatives are stating what is going to take place.
They are not functioning as a command at all. The FORM is a command but the
sense is a pronouncement of what will indeed happen without fail.

To undersigned this you should not go digging around in grammars which are a
bad place for solving theological problems. You should start by finding a
good commentary or two on Isaiah* and take a look at Isaiah 6:9-10 which is
the classic statement on this topic. Note the other echoes of Isaiah 6:9-10
in the Apocalypse. I will not tell you where they are, you can find them.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

* commentaries on Isaiah, E.J. Young, John Calvin, Watts (WBC)