AGAPAW, FILEW

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Wed Oct 17 14:54:53 EDT 2001

At 6:42 PM +0000 10/17/01, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Antonius, in the funeral discourse addressed the Roman
>people over the body of Caesar in this way:
>
>EFILHSATE AUTON hWS PATERA, KAI HGAPHSATE hWS EUERGETHN
>
>- Trench, Synonyms of the NT, pg. 42, citing Dion Cassius, xliv, 48).

Of course any such speech delivered by Antony before the Roman throng would
have been in Latin rather than Greek; I have no idea what Latin verbs Dio
meant to represent by means of FILEIN and AGAPAN. Of course, Trench would
be basing his comments upon Dio's Greek sensibility, not on what Antony may
actually have spoken in Latin.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com