PANTES In Mt.26:27

RUSSELL RANKIN rrankin at isd.net
Tue Oct 16 23:58:35 EDT 2001

Carl,

I see that PANTES was >in agreement with the implicit second-plural subject
of the imperative
PIETE--it's not itself the subject.<  This is what puzzles me when
categorizing PANTES in what seemed to be a two subject sentence, or two
sentences in one.

Of the three subcategories into which Adjectives are divided by Friberg and
Friberg, that of Pronominal identifies "those used substantively" and
"standing as a noun" [Introduction p.xii; Appendix p.819**].  This
suggests, as Harry Jones, that PANTES is substantive because it is a
Nominative.  The other two subcategories are "adverbs" and "attributive and
predicate adjectives" [Introduction, p.xii].  I infer from this that,
because PANTES is Nominative, it cannot fit the two latter categories, so
is forced into a grammatical category without due consideration of the
semantic structure of the sentence, i.e., the imperative of PIETE
[???].  If this premise is correct, then PIETE, having its own subject
["you drink"], makes PANTES stand alone as a redundant one-word statement
in agreement with the imperative -- "all" [of you drink of it].  Standing
alone, its grammatical structure need not be strictly identified, except as
Nominative.  Would this be a fair analysis of the semantic meaning of the
sentence?  Your comments, please.  Thanks.

Russell Rankin
Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
rrankin at isd.net

** Analytical Greek New Testament, Greek Text Analysis edited by Barbara
Friberg and Timothy Friberg, Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, MI, 1981, 1993
edition.