Fronting

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Tue Oct 16 17:21:19 EDT 2001

Greetings Iver,

on 10/16/01 1:23 PM, Iver Larsen wrote:

> May be your "counter examples" stem from jumping to quickly to conclusions
> based on various presuppositions and assumptions.

No doubt this is the case. I was trying to draw a distinction between
semantic content and emphasis.

>> Here we have clause initial EGENONTO which has low semantic content just
>> like ESTIN. But in narrative EGENONTO is very often toward the
>> front of the
>> clause. This has something (what?) to do with narrative discourse patterns
>> but I don't think it has anything to do with the level of semantic content
>> (a completely different issue than relative prominence).
>
> I would not say that EGENONTO has low semantic content. Whether something
> happens or something does not happen is very important.

Here we seem to have a terminology problem. I see now that you are using
semantic content in a way that I never expected. Having discovered this your
discussion now begins to make sense but I am still going to hold out on the
issue of clause final position as a marker of emphasis.

Thanks to Wayne and Iver and Alex and those who sent mail off list. This
thread is taxing my ability to think clearly so I will now retire and let
the heavy weights fight this one out.

thanks for all the discussion,

greetings,

Clay