John 20:16 RABBOUNI

Randall Buth ButhFam at compuserve.com
Tue Oct 16 09:16:22 EDT 2001

TW KARLW
CAIREIN

>thought it worth asking our Aramaic people on the list--Randall,

This probably continues a form of address that she had always been
using. Therefore appropriate and respectful at the same time.

***
an often overlooked aside for NT folk:
rabbouni is a good Hebrew word using the vocaliztion attested in
codex Kaufman to the Mishna, our best text.

So John is correct, in not calling it SYRISTI, (well known in LXX and
throughout Jewish texts [cf. Job 41.17]), but EBRAISTI.
Mishnaic Hebrew also referred to Aramaic as "Sursi" which strnegthens the
expectation of SYRISTI if Aramaic had been intended.

additional data
[[This form rabbouni contrasts with the probably babylonian form
ribboni, which later form is used in later Aramaic targum texts and later
rabbinic Hebrew texts. Thus, rabbouni is "western", and also shows up in
later Palestinian targum texts (e.g. Cairo geniza).]]

(Aramaic is always referred to by the word group "SYRO-" among
Greek writers. The only exception I've found are proper names in the NT
that are etymologically borrowed from Aramaic, in which case it may be
called called "EBRAI-".)

ERRWSO
Randall Buth