John 20:16 RABBOUNI

jwest at highland.net jwest at highland.net
Tue Oct 16 07:44:14 EDT 2001

> Text: LEGEI AUTHi IHSOUS: MARIAM. STRAFEISA EKEINH LEGEI AUTWi hEBRAISTI:
> RABBOUNI (hO LEGETAI DIDASKALE).
>
> I've been asked off-list whether I don't think that "RABBOUNI" is an overly
> stiff and formal term for Mary to use for the Jesus whom she only now,
> after he has called her by name, recognizes. My response was that I thought
> it expressed simultaneous respect and adoration, but quite frankly I don't
> know what the implications and connotations of that term might be in this
> setting in Aramaic and thought it worth asking our Aramaic people on the
> list--Randall, Jack, others?--to comment. My correspondent says he couldn't
> imagine addressing a risen Lord with a term like "Doctor" or
> "Professor"--but I wonder whether, in the culture of the passage,
> "Teacher!" would really be so out of place.

your first instinct is correct.  it is simultaneously a term of respect and
reverence.  not at all out of place.  interestingly it is less *respectful*
than the expected "adonai".

> Wie moechten denn die gelehrten Herren Doktoren zu antworten?

ich bin nicht eine gelehrten, aber ich bin eine Esel.

;-)

best

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
Roane State Community COllege and Quartz Hill School of Theology

Biblical Studies Resources
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest