John 20:16 RABBOUNI

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Tue Oct 16 07:31:57 EDT 2001

Text: LEGEI AUTHi IHSOUS: MARIAM. STRAFEISA EKEINH LEGEI AUTWi hEBRAISTI:
RABBOUNI (hO LEGETAI DIDASKALE).

I've been asked off-list whether I don't think that "RABBOUNI" is an overly
stiff and formal term for Mary to use for the Jesus whom she only now,
after he has called her by name, recognizes. My response was that I thought
it expressed simultaneous respect and adoration, but quite frankly I don't
know what the implications and connotations of that term might be in this
setting in Aramaic and thought it worth asking our Aramaic people on the
list--Randall, Jack, others?--to comment. My correspondent says he couldn't
imagine addressing a risen Lord with a term like "Doctor" or
"Professor"--but I wonder whether, in the culture of the passage,
"Teacher!" would really be so out of place.

Wie moechten denn die gelehrten Herren Doktoren zu antworten?

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com