PANTES In Mt.26:27

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Mon Oct 15 06:56:39 EDT 2001

At 1:38 AM -0500 10/2/01, RUSSELL RANKIN wrote:
>B-Greek,
>
>PANTES in Mt.26:27 is parsed "Adjective, Pronominal, Nominative, Masculine,
>Plural [Analytical Greek New Testament, Friberg and Friberg].  Is this a
>Substantive use of the Adjective?  With what word does PANTES have
>grammatical agreement?

Text (it helps me to have the text directly before me when discussing it):
KAI LABWN POTHRION KAI EUCARISTHSAS EDWKEN AUTOIS LEGWN: "PIETE EX AUTOU
PANTES."

I don't think I would have called PANTES "pronominal" (although one might
English it as "everyone", we don't--or shouldn't, I think--ordinarily
characterize the Greek in terms of target-language categories), nor, in
this instance, do I think I'd call it substantive either; it is in
agreement with the implicit second-plural subject of the imperative
PIETE--it's not itself the subject.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu OR cwconrad at ioa.com