RHMA QEOU

B. Ward Powers bwpowers at optusnet.com.au
Mon Oct 15 00:18:03 EDT 2001

B-greekers all (with subject line corrected):

At 05:35 PM 011014 -0500, SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: CINDY SMITH wrote:
>The expression REMA THEOU appears in
>
>Luke 3:2        during the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas,
>                 the word of God came to John son of Zechariah
>                 in the desert.
>
>Ephesians 6:17  And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the
>                 Spirit, which is the word of God.

Actually, the Greek here is RHMA QEOU (in the recognized transliteration
schema of b-greek).

>Is this expression any different or basically synonymous with the
>phrase LOGOS THEOU which appears in
>
>1 Thessalonians 2:13    And for this reason we too give thanks to God
>                         unceasingly, that, in receiving the word of
>                         God from hearing us, you received not a
>                         human word but, as it truly is, the word of
>                         God, which is at work in you who believe.
>
>1 Timothy 4:5   for it is made holy by the invocation of God in
>                 prayer.
>
>That's the NAB.  The NRS has it:
>
>                 for it is sanctified by God's word and by prayer.
>
>1 Peter 4:11    Whoever preaches, let it be with the words of God;
>                 etc.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>

>Cindy Smith

RHMA QEOU and LOGOS QEOU are synonymous.

LOGOS is cognate with the verb LEGW - there are a large number of word
pairs which have the vowel O in the noun and E in the verb form (e.g.
APOSTOLOS and APOSTELLW.

RHMA is cognate with the verb root RE or ER seen in the principal parts
EREW EIRHKA EIRHMAI ERREQHN. (In the Perfect Active and Middle/Passive, as
also in RHMA, the E of the root lengthens into H in accordance with the
Short Vowel Lengthening Rule).

And these four Principal Parts join with LEGW and EIPON (aorist) to give us
the six Principal Parts of the suppletive verb system of LEGW. In which
they all have the same meaning, i.e. they are the various tense/voice forms
of "say-speak-tell").

LOGOS and RHMA are the respective noun formations of these equivalent
verbs, and are also synonymous.

Regards,

Ward

                                http://www.netspace.net.au/~bwpowers
Rev Dr B. Ward Powers        Phone (International): 61-2-8714-7255
259A Trafalgar Street          Phone (Australia): (02) 8714-7255
PETERSHAM  NSW  2049      email: bwpowers at optusnet.com.au
AUSTRALIA.                         Director, Tyndale College