John 2:3-5

Ben Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Sun Oct 7 18:55:33 EDT 2001

On Sun  7 Oct 2001 (15:38:44), joecrane at navigatorservices.com wrote:
> It looks as if several sentences were deleted; so, for now, I am thinking
> verse 4 "TI EMOI KAI SOI, GUVAI; OUPW NKEI N WPA MOU" may possibly be an
> idiom.  Below, I have added some of my own research on the verse 5.  I
> was hoping it would help explain the structure; however, I am thinking
> verse 4 may be the key.
>
> Any help in understanding this passage would be greatly appreciated.

 Dear Joe,

 I've ventured to correct the Subject line.

 Yes, we have here a Semitic catch phrase TI EMOI KAI SOI, a translation of
 the Hebrew MaH LiY WaLaK. This is the Covenant call, where one challenges
 another "We have a covenant together, you and I"; or, "What is it that we
 agreed together?". See it in Judges 11:12, Samuel 16:10, 1 Kings 17:18, 2
 Chronicles 35:21 and Judges 11:12 in the OT.

 See it also in Mark 5:7 and Luke 8:28. Even the demons reckoned that God was
 going to leave them alone until the End Times, and claimed this right from
 Jesus whom they recognized.

 The miracle at Cana of Galilee was the first Sign that Jesus did, and so
 manifested his glory (John 2:11). Possibly the agreement between Jesus and
 his mother Mary was to keep his Messiahship secret until his time was ripe:
 until his hour was come.

 See the commentaries for other suggestions.

 ERRWSQE
 Ben
--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF