IOUDAIOUS TE KAI hELLHNAS (Rom 3:9)

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 7 15:35:37 EDT 2001

on 10/7/01 12:23 PM, c stirling bartholomew wrote:

> on 10/7/01 11:29 AM, Iver Larsen wrote:
>
>> But back to TE KAI in Rom. 3:9. I doubt the A TE KAI Y in itself implies
>> emphasis on one or the other of the two elements, which seems to agree with
>> Denniston. On the other hand, the item to the left generally has prominence
>> (sorry, my pet theme). I would be interested in seeing any context where the
>> second item could be said to be more prominent than the first.
>
> Iver,
>
> Just for the sake of argument, look at Luke 14:26:
>
> . . . TE KAI THV YUXHN hEAUTOU . . .
>
> This looks to me like a list objects of MISEI building to a climax at the
> end of the list. THV YUXHN hEAUTOU is the least likely object of MISEI and
> for that reason produces the strongest cognitive disturbance in the auditor.
> Cognitive disturbance being one means of measuring prominence.

of course someone is going to say, but you left out ETI in

 . . . ETI TE KAI THV YUXHN hEAUTOU . . .

and that someone will then argue that the presence of ETI changes the whole
complexion of things and invalidates this as an example. Anyway, I beat that
someone to the punch so to speak.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew