IOUDAIOUS TE KAI hELLHNAS (Rom 3:9)

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 7 15:23:37 EDT 2001

on 10/7/01 11:29 AM, Iver Larsen wrote:

> But back to TE KAI in Rom. 3:9. I doubt the A TE KAI Y in itself implies
> emphasis on one or the other of the two elements, which seems to agree with
> Denniston. On the other hand, the item to the left generally has prominence
> (sorry, my pet theme). I would be interested in seeing any context where the
> second item could be said to be more prominent than the first.

Iver,

Just for the sake of argument, look at Luke 14:26:

. . . TE KAI THV YUXHN hEAUTOU . . .

This looks to me like a list objects of MISEI building to a climax at the
end of the list. THV YUXHN hEAUTOU is the least likely object of MISEI and
for that reason produces the strongest cognitive disturbance in the auditor.
Cognitive disturbance being one means of measuring prominence.

greetings,

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew