IOUDAIOUS TE KAI hELLHNAS (Rom 3:9)

Moon-Ryul Jung moon at sogang.ac.kr
Sun Oct 7 06:53:10 EDT 2001

About X TE KAI Y, I read the following in the book
THE GREEK PARTICLES vy J.D. Denniston:

TE ... KAI, "just as much as", "not only .. but also".
(The emphatic expression may be either the first or the
second.)

This implies that I should translate IOUDAIOUS TE KAI hELLHNAS
in Rom 3:9 as "Jews just as much as Gentiiles" or
"not only Jews but also Gentiles", so that
either "Jews" or "Gentiles" gets emphasis, rather than
a more neutral "Jews and Gentiles" or "Both Jews and Gentiles"

I am experimenting on interpreting the phrase as
"Jews just as much as Gentiles". This is possible if
the first term IOUDAIOUS gets emphasis in IOUDAIOUS TE KAI
hELLHNAS.

Any comments for the explanation of Denniston or for the
application of his grammar of TE?

Moon
Moon R. Jung
Sogang Univ,