ONTES Eph 4:18 - which participle?

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Wed Oct 3 15:17:32 EDT 2001

A disagreement exists about which participle ONTES should be joined with in
Eph 4:18.

ESKOTWMENOI - H.A.W. Meyer, E. Best, H. Alford, P.T. Obrien, UBSGNT3

APHLLOTRIWMENOI - Eadie, and BDF (#352) vid*.

*I may be misreading BDF on this but I don't think so.

It is humorous after 120 years to read Alford warning us to "beware" of
Eadie's analysis.

Verb Aspectologists might want to take a look at S.E. Porter, Verb Aspect p.
475 and B. Fanning, pp. 416-18 for their discussion of this construction.

I would be curious to here the pros and cons from anyone who has taken a
look at this issue for more than ten minutes.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point