Eph 4:19 Vice List

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Wed Oct 3 13:48:30 EDT 2001

Eph 4:19

hOITINES APHLGHKOTES hAUTOUS PAREDWKAN THi ASELEGIAi
EIS ERGASIAN AKAQARSIAS PAHS EN PLEONEXIAi.

There is a temptation to find a semantic link here between ERGASIAN and
PLEONEXIAi. Part of the semantic domain of ERGASIAN is "to engage in some
activity for profit." PLEONEXIAi is used for greed and covetousness.

Taking a cue from other vice lists  (e.g., 2Peter 2:3, Rev 18 The fall of
Babylon) it seems like there may be something here which the more recent
commentators are ignoring. The semantic connection I have in mind is one of
making profit, engaging in trade and greed linked somehow with wanton
participation in licentiousness. This is a vague idea, I will leave it
vague.

I am not suggesting that the main thrust (semantic content) this verse has
been misunderstood. However I think there may be some semantic echoes or
perhaps shadows that are being ignored.

This may seem to some a violation of sound lexical semantic procedure, you
know, a wandering into the nether world of sensus plenor and so forth.
However, having spend a lot of time looking at vice lists in the NT I
suspect that there are some semantic connections here which are being
ignored.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew