What To Do With PNEUMATIKOS

Jay Anthony Adkins Jadkins26438 at cs.com
Wed Oct 3 09:08:57 EDT 2001

Iver Larsen wrote in part:

>The context of chapter 12 as well as chapter 14 makes it clear
>that the topic is spiritual gifts as they are discussed in these
chapters.

>From my perspective as a professional Bible translator, a translation
that
>translates PNEUMATIKWN in v. 1 as "spiritual things" or "spiritual
people"
>indicates a lack of awareness of the importance of context for meaningful
>translation.

Frank Gee responded at length refuting this idea.  He spoke of the
immediate context not allowing the use of ‘spiritual gifts.'  To this I
would also add Gordon Fee's comments in his book ‘God's Empowering
Presence', wherein he notes that chapter 13 is part of the context of
12-14 and argues that this greater context will not allow the use of
‘spiritual gifts.'

In either case, both argue from context in support of PNEUMATIKWN in 12:1
as meaning ‘spiritual matters' or ‘spiritual things.'  This shows no "lack
of awareness of the importance of context for meaningful translation."

Sola Grata,
Jay Adkins
Always Under Grace!